GO, PLAY, and DO are all used for sports and activities, but choosing the right verb takes practice.
What are your favorite sports and activities? I love yoga, surfing, and volleyball. But if I want to talk about these activities, I need THREE different verbs! How to choose? Read on to find out.
GO + Verb + ING
GO is typically used for individual activities (only one person is needed), and GO always comes before an ING verb.
- go running, go jogging, go walking, go skydiving, go hiking in the mountains, go cycling, go camping, go shopping (it’s a sport, right?)
GO is also used with most water sports.
- go swimming, go diving, go snorkeling, go fishing, go jet skiing, go sailing
DO is used for exercises, workouts, and martial arts.
- do Pilates, do karate, do jiu jitsu, do Zumba, do aerobics
- do sit-ups, do push-ups, do squats, do burpees, do stretches, do planks (OUCH!!)
PLAY is used for team sports, major league sports, games, and musical instruments.
- play soccer, play tennis, play basketball, play ping pong, play golf
- play poker, play Monopoly, play chess, play guitar, play piano
So did you figure out which verbs to use with my favorite activities?
I like to _________________ yoga, __________________surfing, and _________________volleyball.
If you think you know the answers, comment below! Ready, set, GO!!!