GO, PLAY, and DO are all used for sports and activities, but choosing the right verb takes practice.
What are your favorite sports and activities? I love yoga, surfing, and volleyball. But if I want to talk about these activities, I need THREE different verbs! How to choose? Read on to find out.
GO + Verb + ING
GO is typically used for individual activities (only one person is needed), and GO always comes before an ING verb.
- go running, go jogging, go walking, go skydiving, go hiking in the mountains, go cycling, go camping, go shopping (it’s a sport, right?)
GO is also used with most water sports.
- go swimming, go diving, go snorkeling, go fishing, go jet skiing, go sailing
DO is used for exercises, workouts, and martial arts.
- do Pilates, do karate, do jiu jitsu, do Zumba, do aerobics
- do sit-ups, do push-ups, do squats, do burpees, do stretches, do planks (OUCH!!)
PLAY is used for team sports, major league sports, games, and musical instruments.
- play soccer, play tennis, play basketball, play ping pong, play golf
- play poker, play Monopoly, play chess, play guitar, play piano
So did you figure out which verbs to use with my favorite activities?
I like to _________________ yoga, __________________surfing, and _________________volleyball.
If you think you know the answers, comment below! Ready, set, GO!!!
5 thoughts on “Go, Do, or Play? Verbs for Sports and Activities”
It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time
to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish
to suggest you some interesting things or advice.
Maybe you can write next articles referring to this
article. I want to read more things about it! https://918.network/casino-games/68-rollex11
I like to DO yoga, GO surfing, and PLAY volleyball.