The verb TO DO is very useful when talking about general actions.
We use it to ask about activities, as in:
What do you want to do tonight?
(However, a different verb is used to answer the question.)
- I want to watch the sunset. I want to spend time with my friends. I want to walk on the beach.
Do is also used in many questions. You can read about questions here.
However, some English expressions use the verb to do for specific activities. It helps to learn them by category.
Housework, Chores, and Cleaning
Use do with common housework responsibilities.
- do the laundry (wash and dry)
- do the dishes (wash and dry)
- do the ironing
- do the floors (sweep and mop)
After you do all your housework, you can start to do your homework. Oh man!
- do homework
- do school work
- do a report on something
- do research
- a good job (nice work!)
- a bad job (uh-oh!)
Speaking of work, don’t forget we use do to talk about our jobs.
What do you do? (What’s your job?) I’m a teacher. How about you, what do you do?
Exercises and Workouts
After work, you might want to workout at the gym.
We use DO with all kinds of exercises, martial arts, and workouts. Other sports use GO or PLAY. You can read more about other sports here.
- do yoga
- do karate
- do jiu-jitsu
- do pilates
- do zumba
- do burpees, plank, jumping jacks
- do a flip, a handstand, do a dance
- do push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups (C’mon, 10 more times!)
Are you tired from all that exercise? Use do when you talk about personal care for your body, skin, hair, and nails. Let’s go to the spa!
- do your hair (cut, color, and style)
- do your nails (paint, pedicure or manicure)
- do your makeup (put makeup on your face)
- Don’t you love getting your hair and nails done?
- I love doing my makeup when I go to a party.
Finally, we often use do when working with other people in social and business settings.
- do someone a favor
- do business with someone or with a company
- Could you do me a favor and drive me to the bank?
- We don’t want to do business with companies that aren’t environmentally friendly.
Think you’ve got it? Let’s do it!!!